Jul. 5, 2010
27 Ways to Not Look Like a Slob
Yes, itâ€™s July 5th Summer is in full swing and you can be sure the beaches are packed today as people take advantage of the â€śoff dayâ€ť in celebration of Independence Day. Much was the case yesterday, as I ventured down to the shore after doing a little shopping and cruising in the Jeep.
You can expect many people to take full advantage of this string of hot weather that has hit the Northeast. After all I know Connecticut and most of the Northeast is expecting temperatures in the 90â€™s all week!
Yesterday was a quiet day Sunday as usual, I had planned to meet up with my brother at the Rhode Island shoreline but the combination of a mild headache in the morning from my lack of water on Saturday (yes even I slip up) and the late night from watching UFC 116, didnâ€™t mix.
Saturday, I only drank one gallon of water where I usually have two gallons per day and during contest prep if I stay up past 12, the next morning is ugly.
So, to say Sunday morning was a rough go, is an understatement. But I still got up ate, drank a little too much coffee and cooked, prepared and packed up my meals for the next 3 days. I picked up my cousin Justin to head down to the Clinton Crossing Outlets, actually the only for two stores I go there for are Under Armour and Nike.
One thing I was telling my cousin on Saturday afternoon was that Iâ€™ve been so busy working on my building my business and training for my next competition in Indiana in 30 days, that I hadnâ€™t been to the beach yet this Summer. Justin, just coming off of his surgery last Thursday to repair a frayed labrum, hadnâ€™t been either. Well, for the two of us, that was until yesterday afternoon.
After 2 hours of shopping (my max!) we headed down to the Connecticut Shoreline.
The next hour of my life I would gladly take back in a heartbeat!
Now both my cousin and I are quite confident in our physical appearance. Granted, I may be better looking then him, but hey Iâ€™m Italian and heâ€™s Polish, itâ€™s a given!
Now on the other hand there were WAY too many dudes out there who should have either put a t-shirt on immediately or just stayed in doors.
Part of me wasnâ€™t really that upset that I was only getting the beach for the first time all season. Every year I think to myself, â€śmaybe this is the year my generation will changeâ€ť and every year I am once again subject to the pure disregard for personal health and body, displayed by men and women of my age demographic.
So I know there are plenty of you guys out there that donâ€™t want to look like the overweight officer worker.Â As I know there are plenty of beautiful women out there who donâ€™t want to be placed in the same category as the sloppy drunk girl at the bar, who just so happens to be hanging on that same chunky officer worker. Most of the time this episode involves some kind of disturbing behavior or wardrobe malfunction on the females part.
For those of you that want to do everything in your power to avoid this classification, I put together a list of 26 ways for men and women to build a body that will turn heads at the beach, in no particular order of importance (but rather ironic I started with nutrition.)
1.Â Prepare Your Daily Meals â€“ Too many in my generation respond with, â€ś I donâ€™t have time.â€ť What happens when you have your own family? The pure reason for not preparing your food is laziness and convenience. Just think how convenient it is to already have your food with you.
2. Shop on the Outside of the Grocery Store – Everything you need to get started is here, from fresh produce, both green veggies and fresh fruits, deli meat, fish, lean proteins to name a few. These are strong foundations, build on them.
3. Limit Alcohol Content â€“ I know, I know, WTF! Hey, itâ€™s empty calories and consistent alcohol consumption or binge drinking destroys your metabolism. Oh and ladies, constant alcohol consumption will AGE you faster than the stress of being married with children!
4. Exercise a Minimum of 3 Times Per Week â€“ Aim for 3 workouts consisting of both strength training and high intensity cardio.
5. Drink More Water â€“ Itâ€™s number #1 natural fat-burner. Shoot for half your body weight in ounces, minimum.
6. Consume More Lean Protein â€“ amino acids are the building blocks of muscle.
7. Get off the Treadmill and Get Creative â€“ Cardio is not the end all be all, but if you think your cardio must be on a machine you need to kick yourself. Hill Sprints, Kettlebell Swings, Bodyweight Cardio, Sled Drags, Plyometrics, Band Sprints, Ropes, Farmer Walks, Sandbag Carry, are just a few ways to get creative with your â€ścardio workouts.â€ť
8. Lift Weights that Weigh More Than Your Head â€“ NEWSFLASH â€śThe human head weights 8 Pounds and this is something I see too many women still doing. Unless you want your body to resemble the average Jazzercise enthusiast, please lift heavy shit!
9. Perform Total Body Workouts â€“ Yes, GENTLEMAN this includes you too, follow a 3 day a week full body split, Upper, Lower, Total or even more simplistic perform an Upper Body Push, Lower Body Day, Upper Body Pull for starters.
10. Squat More â€“ Ladies, I know you like a nice heiney and Guys the ladies like a man with a nice butt. Just Sayin!
11. Deadlift More â€“ My favorite total body exercise, still canâ€™t find one I like more.
12. More Push-ups and All Itâ€™s Different Variations Â - All the Dumbbell tricep extensions in the mirror and lateral shoulder raises wonâ€™t do what the combination of push-ups can for your arms.
13. Sleep More â€“ There is a direct correlation with lack of sleep and weight gain.
14. Eat Every 2-3 Hours â€“ Your body is a machine, it needs fuel and it needs fuel every 2-3 hours if you want to build the body that turns heads.
15. Stay Active 4 -5 Times Per Week Â - Work on doing some recreational activity or movement 4 â€“ 5 times per week. This can be hiking, swimming, biking, and walking the dog, to name a few.
16. Hire a Professional – And I am not talking about a Therapist. If you donâ€™t know what you should be doing in your workouts, then GET HELP! Granted many of the Personal Trainers suck out there, but I have many colleagues all over the Country. If you need a reference let me know!
17. Train in a Group â€“ Look Professional Athletes and Elite Level Olympians train in groups. There is something to be said about the social support, atmosphere and intensity brought about by training with others with a common goal.
18. Join a Boot Camp â€“ If your looking for the fastest, most effective, most cost-effective way to hire help, train in a group, and get your fat ass in kick ass shape then a Fitness Boot Camp is more than likely your answer.
19. Donâ€™t Go on a â€śDietâ€ť â€“ Look I preach the importance for putting Nutrition first and foremost. Though, with the recent Hollywood buzz about these Extreme Fad Diets it has gotten way out of control. Make small incremental changes and build a sensible nutritional plan.
20. More Intensity â€“ Increasing the intensity in your workout is all too often overlooked. Each and every session should be treated like your last. Make the most of it! Your Metabolic Rate will repay you later by burning unwanted calories all day long.
21. Eat Out MUCH Less â€“ You have NO IDEA how much of anything is in a meal you eat out. Better yet, see # 1.
22. Learn How To Foam Roll and Do It 3 Times Per Day â€“ Increased blood flow and injury prevention are just a few benefits of this technique known as Self Myofascia Release or foam rolling.
23. Sprint Donâ€™t Run â€“ Would you rather look like a Sprinter or Long Distance Runner?
24. Avoid the Scale â€“ Use a variety of measurement options to track your progress. Clothes, Energy, Strength, Food Journal besides just weighing yourself. Pick one day a week and weigh yourself on it first thing in the morning.
25. Download an App â€“ Todayâ€™s Smartphones are loaded with Workout Applications, Nutrition Journals, Cookbooks etc. My personal favorite is the Menâ€™s Health App and Workout Muse App.
26. S.U.M.M.E.R. â€“ Shut Up Move More Eat Less, was first brought to my ears by my colleague and Corporate Boot Camp Guru Greg Justice, and it all makes SO MUCH sense when it comes to my generation. Many talk too much, eat too much and donâ€™t move enough. Start workinâ€™ on it! ASAP!
27. Set a Goal – In my line of business I see this WAY too often. A person will start a journey without a means to the end. Set weekly, monthly and year long goals. Revisit these goals. Revise these goals. Track your progress. This one step alone has helped me get where I am today both personally and professionally.
Work Hard, Train Hard, Live Better,